Urban Meyer to coach Ohio State

Talk about professional sports including basketball, baseball, football, and hockey. Advocate your favorite teams, post news, and address rumors.

Moderators: Loon E Lou, JDR

JDR
Da Punchline King
Wins: 48
Losses: 3
No Shows: 3

Urban Meyer to coach Ohio State

Post by JDR »

Per ESPN

Former Florida Gators coach Urban Meyer has taken the head coaching job at Ohio State, his agent, Trace Armstrong, confirmed Monday morning.

Meyer had been working as a game analyst this season for ESPN. But Meyer requested off his appearance this weekend as reports swirled of his imminent hire with the Buckeyes.

Sources told WKMG-TV in Orlando last week that Meyer would be introduced in coming days after agreeing to a seven-year, $40 million deal.

Good move IMO. I have an intense hatred for the Florida Gators but Meyer is likeable and a great coach. I'm still not sure why he left Florida and the real reasons will probably never come out of it. OSU is where Urban wanted to be all along though. He's a huge Big 10 fan, got his degree there and would have probably took the OSU job over Florida all day if Tressel got canned when he bounced from the West.

If Ohio State did not come calling, Urban Meyer says he was planning to stay away from coaching for at least another year.

Meyer, the former Florida coach and native Buckeye, was officially hired Monday by Ohio State, a program with a glittering past that has suffered through a difficult year of NCAA violations.

"If not for the coaching position at Ohio State, I would not have coached this year," he said.

Meyer resigned as Gators coach after last season, citing health concerns and a desire to spend more time with his family.

"A year ago in my mind I was convinced I was done coaching," he said.

He added that he is feeling great.

"I've been checked out and I'm ready to go," he said. "I've been to a place and I don't want to go back."

Meyer will become one of the highest paid coaches in college football, along with Alabama's Nick Saban, Oklahoma's Bob Stoops and Texas' Mack Brown. The school says he will receive a six-year contract that pays $4 million annually, plus another $2.4 million total in "retention payments." He also can qualify for supplemental bonuses.
Battle Record
40-2
2010 Awards
Illest Battler || Illest Punchline Artist || Battle of the Year -vs- Cee4

Return to “Sports Arena”