Where and what kind of mic can i get 4 cheap

All production work, recording or production help, beat requests, drumkits, samples, fruity loops, programs and other studio related items belong in this section.

Moderator: Loon E Lou

FlipSide
Flow Creation
Flow Creation
Wins: 0
Losses: 0

Where and what kind of mic can i get 4 cheap

Post by FlipSide »

I need to get my production quality up! And everyone tells me i need a mic...what kind of mic and where can i find one? I got a lap top so i need something with a usb or with a compatible jack. I also use cool edit pro..but i forgot how to use most of the tools with it lol... if u have heard my audio...what tools on it can i use to make it clearer... anyways.. im like a guy that came out of a coma and forgot everything... so please some one give a lending hand!
BANG BANG!!!! I Shot U Down
̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪•)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ -
AbZ The Beast
Elite Freestyler
Wins: 3
Losses: 5

Re: Where and what kind of mic can i get 4 cheap

Post by AbZ The Beast »

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT2035/
this was is nice 2 for its price

but i suggest saving and getting a rode/AKG/or a higher end audio technica

hit me up
THE FINAL SHADE' COMING FALL 2010
www.soundclick.com/abzthebeast
Leeroy Jenkins
Rhyme Master
Wins: 5
Losses: 2
No Shows: 2

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

This is what I tell everyone from my experiences fucking with low end recording equipment: it's a fucking waste.

If you want to be serious about your shit and have studio quality, you gotta spend the money one way or another. It's counterproductive to settle for anything less

In my life (started recording like 6-7 years ago) I've been through about:

10 different $20ish dollar radioshack type dynamic microphones (Grand total $200)
3 Behringer B1 Condenser Mics (100 each) (GT: $500)
1 MXL Mic, i forgot the exact model..$100 (GT:$600)
2 Eurorack Mixers (like 80 each) (GT:$760)
1 art tube3 preamp ($100) (GT:$860)
2 shure KSM27's ($300 each) (GT:$1260)
1 Mbox Mini 2 ($300) (GT:1560)
Focusrite Voicemaster Pro (like $550 i think) (GT:$2110)
and another preamp/interface that I forget the name of (400) ($2410)
like 3 sound blaster audigy soundcards ($100 each) ($2710)

so with tax it's safe to assume I've spent over $2,800 on recording equipment and I've gotten absolutely NOWHERE. It's all gone, it all sucked or just wasn't as good as what I wanted. Your mics will fall, your preamps will break, your sound quality will never be as good as you want it to be no matter what crappy mixing tutorial you find off a rap site that's supposed to "Magically" make your crappy $500 setup sound like a studio that has tens of thousands of dollars invested into it.

If I was smart, I would've saved all that money and used the $2,800 to buy an avalon preamp and rode nt2a...and if you were smart that's what you'd do.

My advice is grab the cheapest, shittiest microphone you can get your hands on from your local Kmart or Walmart or Target and record on that microphone until you're actually GOOD enough to need studio quality...

and as much as a dick as I am for saying it, I don't even have to hear you - I can promise you that you're not.

even the majority of people who think they know how to "Rap" can't make songs or hooks to save their life. Go elevate, come back and worry about your quality later
My psychologist tells me that I suffer from serious delusions of sexual grandeur. I think she just wants to fuck me

NoVeL
Rap Assassin
Wins: 14
Losses: 28
No Shows: 10000

Post by NoVeL »

My advice is grab the cheapest, shittiest microphone you can get your hands on from your local Kmart or Walmart or Target and record on that microphone until you're actually GOOD enough to need studio quality...

and as much as a dick as I am for saying it, I don't even have to hear you - I can promise you that you're not.

even the majority of people who think they know how to "Rap" can't make songs or hooks to save their life. Go elevate, come back and worry about your quality later
Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooo Damn!!
Leeroy Jenkins
Rhyme Master

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

I'm just being honest. I'm not bigging myself up to be anything special...to be honest, I don't even consider myself a rapper anymore. I'm a songwriter...half the music I've written over the last year is R&B and alternative rock. Just do it for fun at this point
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:22 am, edited 117 times in total.
My psychologist tells me that I suffer from serious delusions of sexual grandeur. I think she just wants to fuck me

HKX
Hard-Kore-X
Losses: 0

Post by HKX »

go 2 guitar center and ask them 4 a condenser mic my mic was originally 2 bills but I got it 4 80 cuz it was on special so make sure u spend at least 80 up 2 a bill or more good look jus ask them when u go 2 guitar center
NoVeL
Rap Assassin
Wins: 14
Losses: 28
No Shows: 10000

Post by NoVeL »

^^^ I Don't Have A Guitar Center By My Country Texan Home.. Would They Have em Best Buy??
AbZ The Beast
Elite Freestyler
Losses: 5

Post by AbZ The Beast »

THE FINAL SHADE' COMING FALL 2010
www.soundclick.com/abzthebeast
Leeroy Jenkins
Rhyme Master

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

I'm just being honest. I'm not bigging myself up to be anything special...to be honest, I don't even consider myself a rapper anymore. I'm a songwriter...half the music I've written over the last year is R&B and alternative rock. Just do it for fun at this point
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:22 am, edited 20 times in total.

Loon E Lou
Fuck You, Pay Me
Wins: 11
Losses: 6

Post by Loon E Lou »

Um......what?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Leeroy Jenkins
Rhyme Master

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

god damnit. this thread screwed me up
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loon E Lou
Fuck You, Pay Me
Wins: 11
Losses: 6

Post by Loon E Lou »

Theres like different posts in this thread. Even a map wouldnt help figure where u were goin with that

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
littlefranky
Potential Emcee

Post by littlefranky »

i'd say i agree with leeroy

i started with a shitty computer mic. then a shitty dynamic mic.
then an mxl 990 (decent for the price, but not sufficient)
finally recently saved up and bought a mxl genesis - $600
great mic honestly, but at the same time im not an incredible engineer.

getting a great mic is good, but most times the mix is the key to a real studio gem.

Return to “Studio Related”