Fictional Novel I'm currently working on

Two words... rap school. Learn the craft, ask questions, be interactive. Find out what makes the technical MC's so efficient at writing, and which areas you need to improve on.

Moderator: Loon E Lou

Leeroy Jenkins
Rhyme Master
Wins: 5
Losses: 2
No Shows: 2

Fictional Novel I'm currently working on

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Mason stepped out of his mother’s van as he braced himself for a new beginning. For once in his life he felt like he had the opportunity to erase the dreaded freshman experience that had become his legacy at Bayside High. Now it’s his senior year and he’s at a new school with new kids and a new look that will surely score him some new female action.
Well…actually…Mason is sort of a vir…well he’s a virgin...but hey, nobody has to know about his past, right? We’re creating a future here.

He stepped out of his mom’s red van wearing some faded blue jeans and a yellow shirt that he bought from Wal-Mart which clearly didn’t match at all with his black & turquoise colored Nikes. They were the only pair of shoes he owned, which were given to him by his grandma who passed away a few years ago. Inevitably after all this time they got scuffed and torn, but who cares, right? It’s not like the kids these days are gonna categorize you & try to determine your popularity based on your fashion sen-…err, never mind. He was pretty much setting himself up for failure from the get-go.
He wasn’t a bad looking kid, just a little bit on the…nerdy side. He had brown hair and eyes which were covered up by thin rimmed glasses. He was also kind of pale and chubby which really didn’t help his confidence… but on the bright side, his hair was finally nice and clean cut; it’s a slight improvement over that shag that he used to sport last year.
Mason entered the main building where he wandered aimlessly in the hallways surrounded by hundreds of new people that he’d never seen before. The previous night he swore to himself that he would get in control for once in his life and take the initiative to make friends with EVERYBODY…Although the way the scenario played out in his head was completely different from the reality; As he looked around, he realized he was slightly out of his element and the worst part of it was that it seemed like everyone already knew each other; That he was the only person in the hallway with no friends or anyone to talk to. He quietly fell back into the crowd and walked over to the pink piece of paper that was mounted on the wall. He ran his finger down the list of names, looking for his Homeroom.
There it is:
Andrews, Mason – Room 212E – Ms. Dietchman
He got into a line of students who were all asking for directions from a skinny middle-aged man with long black hair tied into a ponytail who was carrying a walkie-talkie.
Mason thought to himself, “Who uses walkie-talkies these days? Don’t we all have cell phones?”
Right at that very moment, moment, the man with the ponytail beamed at Mason and bellowed out with enthusiasm, “How are you doing?! I’m Mr. Bamberry! Can I help you?!”
Mason replied dimly, “I’m looking for 212E.”
And just as Mr. Bamberry pointed to the 2nd floor of the perpendicular building, a swarm of students started flooding into Mason’s peripheral. He glanced over to his right where at least 50 students had all started rushing into the next hallway. Naturally, Mason began following at full speed.
Mr. Bamberry swiftly whipped out his handy-dandy walking & talking device where he paged…err…beeped…err….talkied? the nearest staff members & campus officers,
“Looks like a fight is about to break out in the main building”.

Mason ran to the forefront of the crowd which was now gathered around 2 teenage boys staring at each other, face to face. One was about 5’9; a Hispanic kid with baggy blue jeans, timberland boots and a black t-shirt. The other was a white kid, about 6’3 with a silver hoop nose ring in his right nostril, faded dark blue jeans, black shoes, and a brown Ray Charles t-shirt underneath a black dress-shirt. The sleeves were rolled up to show off a tattoo of a vintage microphone on his right forearm.

Suddenly the white kid with the nose ring pushed the kid in the black t-shirt who retaliated by throwing a right haymaker. Just as he did, the kid with the nose ring jumped to his right to dodge the punch and BAM!
Mason, who thought it would be a good idea to stand at the forefront of the crowd, got popped in the mouth by the stray punch.
Wow. What an awesome way to start off the school year! Before Mason could even comprehend what had just happened, a group of teachers and officers broke their way through the crowd of rowdy teenagers, grabbing a hold of all 3 of the boys & dragging them off into the front office.

As Mason sat there, in the middle of the office with an ice pack held up against his swollen lip, he began to wonder to himself: “Why the FUCK is it that I can’t just have a good school year where I’m NOT looked at as a complete loser? What the hell did I ever do in the first place to deserve this bullshit?! I spent my entire LIFE being made fun of and having no friends, and I can’t just have ONE good year where people actually talk to me?”

The principal called the other 2 boys back to her office. Mr. Bamberry came up to Mason and said cheerfully, “Hey, you’re not in any kind of trouble, buddy. You should be in first period by now. Come with me and I’ll take you to your homeroom to get your schedule.”

Mason got up and followed him out the door, and into the hallway.

“Man, you’ve got some bad luck.” said Mr. Bamberry jokingly, “Your first day and you get hit in a fight you weren’t even a part of.”

Mason sighed and hesitated before responding -

“Don’t remind me…I still gotta face the rest of the day with a swollen lip. I don’t even want to be here right now.”

“You’ll be alright…” Bamberry assured him, “I’ve been teaching here for 12 years now. I promise by next week nobody will even remember what happened. Those 2 kids have always been troublemakers. If it were up to me, they’d be expelled by now.”

“Who are they?”

Bamberry paused and looked down at Mason and then answered, “Well the shorter one is Ernest, and the taller one is Christian.”

“The one with the nose ring and the tattoo?”

“Yeah, they’re both on the football team. They actually go back and forth between being friends and enemies every other week. You know how kids are.”

Mason didn’t reply to his last statement out loud but he quietly thought to himself “Not really…I don’t even have friends to make into enemies.”
They arrived at 212E which had the name ‘Ms. Dietchman’ printed across the glass window in the middle of the door. Looking in, he could see the class was already in session, the students all seated and facing a dark Hispanic woman in her mid 30’s with light blondish-brown hair, green eyes and a relentlessly optimistic smile across her face. Mr. Bamberry opened the door for Mason as they walked in. The entire room hit a brief period of silence then filled with the sound of gossip being murmured throughout the class. Ms. Dietchman smiled brightly and greeted them “Hiiii!” as Mr. Bamberry explained the situation,
“This one was up at the principal’s office with me and needed to get his schedule.”
She looked over at Mason and smiled as she asked for his name.
“Mason Andrews”
“One second, let me get over here and find it”

As Mason watched Ms. Dietchman waddle over to her computer desk in the corner of the room and start shuffling through her papers, he tried staring at the white board to refrain from looking directly at the classroom of people who were all staring at him and whispering to each other. Surely they’re all talking about the kid who got punched in the face that morning.

“Aha, here it is! And look at that, first period you’re here with me.”

She waddled back over to Mason and handed him his schedule as Mr. Bamberry waved and left.
Figures…

“Just have a seat over there” She said, pointing at an empty desk on the far side of the classroom near the windows. “Luckily you didn’t miss out on much.”
Mason walked over to the empty desk and sat down then started surveying the classroom as Ms. Dietchman continued her pointless introductory lecture.
Now before we continue this story, I'd like to point out that Mason was just like any guy, who always had girls on his mind, but Mason TRULY appreciated the female form as more of an artform. When he sees a beautiful girl it’s like his eyes are made of metal and they’re being drawn to a magnet. So by laws of nature, he immediately became fixated on the girl 2 seats over to his right who was quite possibly the most beautiful girl he had ever seen in his life; A thin light-skinned Hispanic girl with long dark black hair that had 2 blonde streaks running through her bangs. A diamond stud ring on the right side of her nose, dark brown eyes and pearly white teeth that perfected her smile; She was flawless.
Mason couldn’t help it…he just stared…and stared. Suddenly she noticed she was being watched and glanced at Mason, who quickly turned his head to the teacher at the front of the class. Maybe she didn’t catch him staring. Mason HAD to do a double take. It’s just too hard to look away...so he stared….....she looks back again. Mason immediately turns his head back to the teacher. He stared blankly at Ms. Dietchman still rambling on about predators…or predicates? Something like that. His head was still wrapped up in teenage lust. He couldn’t get this girl out of his head…one more look won’t hurt. He looked back at her again as she finally calls him out, loud enough to the point where the entire class could hear. “What do you want?! Why do you keep looking at me?!”
Shocked and slightly taken aback, Mason immediately sunk in his chair and looked back at the teacher quietly, as he wallowed in the embarrassment of her public outburst. By the time the bell rang, Mason had never in his life been so relieved to get out of class and as far away from a beautiful girl as possible. His day was already ruined. Maybe it’s not too late to transfer to another school and start over again?
He stood in the hallway as he looked down at his schedule. 2nd period is Science with Mr. Dobalina in 112E. Seriously? Who’s coming up with these names? He stopped to ask a random teacher in the hallway for directions, then fought his way down the stairwell cluttered with students to get into his next classroom. Standing at the door in front of the classroom to greet him was a fairly good-looking man in his early 40’s with dark black hair highlighted with a few grey streaks, wearing khaki pants with a light blue dress shirt and a black tie. He greeted Mason warmly, “Come on in & take a seat.” As Mason walked in, he noticed there were no desks. Instead there were 6 sets of two big black tables pushed together with 4 chairs at each set of tables. He grabbed a seat in the far back to hopefully seclude himself from the classroom. He waited quietly for the bell to ring, watching everyone come in and take their seats and wondered who would wind up at the table with him.
Finally, after seeing every table fill up but his own, Mason watched as a skinny light-skinned black kid with green eyes & cornrows, wearing black and silver jordans, long jean shorts and a baggy white t-shirt came over and sat at the table across from him. Within 5 seconds of sitting down, he immediately looked up and saw Mason then exclaimed laughingly, “Ahhha, you’re that dude who got knocked out by E.J. right?”

“I didn’t get knocked out” Snapped mason, “…He just missed and hit me instead”
“Yeah whatever man, if I were you I woulda beat his ass” said the kid

Mason looked down at the table quietly. Maybe he was right. Then again, it all happened so fast he didn’t really have much chance to react...

“Ay man it’s all good, I’m Eugene. What’s your name?”
“Mason”
“Listen, you don’t really wanna fuck with E.J. anyways. No disrespect, but that dude could prolly whoop your ass, straight up.” Said Eugene, “Plus he’s got mad people who’ll back him up.”

Mason thought about the fight from earlier and the kid with the nose ring.
“What about Christian?” he asked

“Christian’s captain of the football team. You’d be better off picking a fight with E.J.” Eugene replied, “Hang out with me though and you won’t have any problems.”
The bell rang and Mr. Dobalina started the class. About 10 minutes into the lecture, Mason who was still reflecting on the girl who called him out in the middle of the classroom looked over at Eugene and felt compelled to ask, “Who’s the hottest girl in the school?”
Eugene’s eyes opened up and he said “Mannnn, Vanessa Kiely…Dog, she is fine as hell and has this huuuge ass like, damn”
Mason paused. “She Hispanic and have a nose ring?”
“Yeaah mann”
Mason stifled a laugh.
Eugene looked at mason who was grinning, “but don’t even bother” as his face turned serious “That chick is cooold hearted, plus she’s fucking with Christian anyways.”
Mason glanced down at the table then turned his attention back to Mr. Dobalina until the class was over.

“Hey uhh…Eugene” Mason shyly stammered, “I don’t really know anybody around here, can I hang out with you during lunch?”
“I got you” Eugene said, “Follow me, fam…You might be out of your league though”
Mason’s mind jetlagged for a second and he turned his head to Eugene with a confused look on his face and said “What do you mean out of my league?”
Eugene laughed and shook his head “You’ll see”

So he followed Eugene out to the Cafeteria which was completely packed with kids he’d never seen before. There was a few picnic tables out front, and inside there was just 5 looong rows of tables. Oddly enough Mason hadn’t run into anyone he knew from his previous schools, but maybe that was for the best. Eugene & Mason filled up their lunch trays and went to sit down at the table in the middle. Suddenly Mason understood what Eugene meant. Out of their entire section of the table, he happened to be the ONLY white kid…and apparently Mason wasn’t the only one to notice. As soon as he sat down, one of the kids at the table with a fade haircut wearing a baggy red t-shirt started interrogating, “Eugene, why are you bringing this white boy over here?”
Eugene just smirked, “Shut up, Terrell. He’s cool, man”
Then another kid at the table in a Magic jersey with a white sweatband around his forearm and another around his head immediately jumped in and exclaimed “Oh shit, that’s that white boy that got rocked by E.J.!”
Mason couldn’t even string together some kind of response.
“Yo, you got beef with E.J.?”
“No” Mason replied
“Man, if the whole school heard that I got punched in the mouth by somebody on the first day, I’d have beef with him”
“He’s prolly soft” Terrell interjected.
The whole table started laughing.
“God damn, chill out” Eugene said “It’s dudes first day and yall already on his dick”
The kid in the Magic jersey playfully laughed it off, “Man he knows I’m just fucking with em.” He looked at Mason with a grin, “You know I’m just fucking with you, right?”

“Sure.” Mason said quietly.
“Where’s Chris & E.J. at anyways?” said Eugene
“Prolly got suspended” said Terrell
“We gotta introduce E.J. to the man he knocked the fuck out” the kid in the jersey exclaimed, then started laughing, “Alright, alright, I’m straight. I’ma be quiet”
Eugene looked at the kid in the Magic jersey, then looked at Mason then said, “That’s Melvin, ignore him, he’s retarded.” He pointed at the kid in the red “That’s Terrell.” Then he pointed at a skinny kid with an afro who was talking to a dark black kid who looked about twice the size of everyone at the table, “The skinny one’s Antonio, the big one is Biggie”

A puzzled look fell on Mason’s face, “Biggie?”
“Yeah, Dude sounds and looks just like Biggie.” Eugene looked at Mason who didn’t respond and had a blank expression on his face, “You know who Biggie is, right?”
Mason wasn’t exactly a huge hip hop fan and probably wouldn’t recognize Biggie’s voice if he heard it, but he had a vague enough idea of who Biggie was.
“Yeah.”
The bell rang and Mason pulled out his schedule. His next class is with….Mr. Bamberry? Looks like it’s gonna be a long first day. He looked at Eugene as they walked outside of the Cafeteria, “Hey, do you know where Mr. Bamberry’s class is?”
“Yeah” Eugene pointed towards the building to the left “It’s in the gym over there”.
“Alright thanks” Mason said.
“I’ll talk to you tomorrow, fam” Eugene said as he gave him daps and left.
Mason was back on his own again as he began heading his way to Mr. Bamberry’s class. He showed up to the Gymnasium door greeted by Mr. Bamberry who exclaimed with far too much excitement, “Ahh, Mason. I knew I’d be seeing you again. I’m glad you’re here, come on in.”
He entered the Gym and walked across the basketball court as he took a seat on the bleachers with all the other kids. The all-too familiar sound of whispers that have been following him throughout the day have yet to die out. It was painfully obvious, as people were talking in isolated groups and occasionally pointing at the chubby, pale kid with the mismatched clothes, that Mason was still the topic of the day.

I lost some of the breaks when I copied and pasted from the text file. I'll keep working on this though
My psychologist tells me that I suffer from serious delusions of sexual grandeur. I think she just wants to fuck me

Return to “Center Of Elevation”