Kurse

All production work, recording or production help, beat requests, drumkits, samples, fruity loops, programs and other studio related items belong in this section.

Moderator: Loon E Lou

-TraMaTiK-
Unstoppable Emcee
Wins: 6
Losses: 17

Kurse

Post by -TraMaTiK- »

question. as an expierenced artist u kno alot about recording obviously. but for those of us like me who are far behind or just learning the basics of it,can u share a few things? me,personally i wanna kno how u kno when and where to put ad-libs? if u kno the answer lemme kno, or any other advice on basic knowledge that's a necessity when recording.
Kurse
(Admin)
Wins: 27
Losses: 0

Post by Kurse »

Man...this is sumthin that's really hard to explain in a thread! haha U might wanna get on skype with me or sumthin, that way I can't explain it fully and give you examples.

But that way I don't leave your question fully dry...

...it's hard to say when and where to add an ad-lib! That's why it's soooo important to 'feel' what it is that you're spittin on the track...cuz it'll "naturally" kinda tell ya where that ad-lib should go! I mean...you ever listen to a song and just find urself slippin away...vibing to it!? And you add lil "uhh uhh's" and "yea yea's" to it in ur head? Well that's the same shit...you need to vibe wit ur music naturally and you'll just land up adding whatever comes out...whatever ur feelin!

Granted the other purpose for ad-libs is for space-fillers! Little points in ur verse where u don't say anything for a second before you jump into the next line. Yea. Ad-libs are used to fill those lil gaps too! They're especially good for "slow flow" emcee's such as Rick Ross. But other than that ad-libs just come out at the right times when u get lost into ur own music! It's magic! haha
(okay it's not magic!)
But still...
...it just kinda happens.

If you have skype...lemme know and I'll give you some more pointers.
Subsist
Rap Professional
Wins: 11
Losses: 16

Post by Subsist »

what are ad-libs? i know alot just not familiar with terms.
Kurse
(Admin)
Wins: 27

Post by Kurse »

Ad-libs are all the extra lil "perks" that you add to a song in the background. Such as "Yea", "Ohh", "Whaaat", "Uh-huh"...etc, etc. It's the real low, subtle extra's that you add in behind the vocals to take up space or spice up a song.
HKX
Hard-Kore-X
Wins: 3

Post by HKX »

add libs r da shit dawg do em on every track record it'll make da track stand out more and it'll make it sound complete i usually use them on da end of each word i say like yo dat nigga is gayyyyy, he a muthafuckin fakkkeee it makes da word stand out and makes it da last word stand out

Return to “Studio Related”